Saturday, December 8, 2012

In a Heartbeat 

by Loretta Ellsworth


During a figure-skating competition, a small mistake ends Eagan's life.  Well for her, her heart lives on in Amelia's body.  When, a usually soft spoken and polite, 14-years old Amelia hears of the news that she has been waiting for what seems like forever she feels guilty since she knows the only way for her to get a heart was for someone to die.  She is happy yet can't help feeling guilty. She is very grateful for the new healthy heart and a second chance at life, at doing things she never thought she could, something as small as going down the stairs at her house, for which she had to use a specially installed chair that took her up and down.  But when she begins to crave things she never had before, such as grape juice, and screams at her mom, which is so out of character for her, she knows she has to find out more about the donor. She has to do this for her and for the person whose heart lives in her.  This novel is all about second chances and loss narrated by both Eagan and Amelia, and is full of surprises. I enjoyed it a lot but I think that's because I like novels by Lurlene McDaniel.

2 comments:

  1. Even reading the description of this book tugs at my heart string. I so want to read it, I can already tell I'm gonna like it.
    I guess I can relate to it because my brother gave parts of his body when he passed and I do wonder how those folks are doing. I don't know if I'll ever try to check on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, that would be kind of sad and weird for both parties, I think.

    ReplyDelete